An active lifestyle is a simple way to ward off many common ailments that can afflict you and can also help retain your youthful looks and glow. Most dread having to go out for a regular walk or run or to the gym for a workout when its time for periods. The good news is that with the right kind of care and hygiene products, you can gear up for exercising with full enthusiasm once again. Take a look at the below tips:
Periods need not mean ‘no exercise’
In fact, moderate exercise during your periods can help you ward off cramps and lower back pain which is a boon to most. But yes, without the right kind of attention paid to your hygiene this can be uncomfortable. Try out the following to keep yourself boosted during your cycle:
- Take a shower twice a day pre and post workout so that you can wash off the sweat and get rid of the sticky feeling. Remember, you are also wiping off the body odour this way.
- Use a good quality soap that is designed to nourish your skin, prevent problems and give you great fragrance too. You can opt for products like Himalaya or Khadi Natural that helps clean your skin thoroughly and prevents bacterial build up.
- Hygiene for your intimate areas is something you should pay special attention to. Avoid using your regular body soaps for these parts as the skin is sensitive and can get dry and itchy. Always go for gentle cleansers especially designed to maintain the pH balance. V-Wash is a good option that is a popular choice with women. Always feel free to consult your gynaecologist if you are not too sure.
- Once you are done with your shower, use fragrant talc that will keep you feeling fresh and smell amazing. Fine talcum powders also give your skin a smooth feel and keep the body away from sweat. Make sure to pick a fruity, floral or sandal scented one, which matches your preferences so you feel confident about your body.
The right choice of sanitary napkins
Periods can be carefree and anxiety free for you if you choose the right kind of protection for these days.
- For heavy flow days, choose an XL pad that comes with wings so that there is absolutely no tension of leaks or stains. You can choose combo packs that give you great discounts when you buy two packs at the same time. Remember to check the description and verify it is an XL pad that you are buying if you tend to have a heavy flow during the first two days. An ultra-thin pad, on the other hand, lets you have the same freedom of movement that you have on other days.
- You can switch to a lighter pad when the flow reduces and carry an extra pad with you, just in case. Whisper Choice is the regular pad for light flow that is efficient and also comes in compact separate covers that you can discretely carry in your purse.
- For hygiene on non-period days, you can always use Carefree panty liners that keep you feeling super dry and fresh all day long, and also prevent body odours due to discharge.
Let’s not forget how important grooming is, especially during summers, when body hair can make you feel hot and sweat more. If you are an avid swimmer, you don’t want your body hair to be seen when you put on your swimwear.
- Use a specially designed shaving cream for women before you start using your razor to shave off unwanted hair in intimate areas.
- Pick up razors that are made for women since these are designed for your extra smooth and sensitive skin. Gillette Venus has quite a few options to choose from including the ones with an in-built gel bar which moisturise and nourish your skin while you get rid of the hair. Gillette also has one with Aloe Vera glide strip bars that are good for sensitive skin that tends to burn when you shave. Follow the instructions carefully and you will have smooth shaven skin in minutes.
- If you have sensitive skin and you don’t want to use razors, opt for Veet Hair Removal cream specially designed for sensitive skin. This is a multipurpose cream that you can use under arms, on your bikini line, as well as on your arms and legs for a smooth, flawless finish.
Implement these tips and you will find yourself welcoming the bright summer days with a brisk walk or jog without feeling the heat at all. A little bit of care about your hygiene and grooming can go a long way in helping you stay committed to your fitness goals during summer!