Summer is here! While you whip out your phone and gear up for a quintessential selfie, you see it. That sticky, sweaty trickle of perspiration. Those beady, glistening salty drops on your forehead, slowly inching down your face, with a mission to ruin your makeup. Yikes!
That’s definitely not fun in the sun, but it is definitely the story of our lives, every summer. So if you’re feeling the heat and are at risk of having a makeup meltdown, don’t you worry.
We’ve got some amazing summer hacks to sweat-proof your makeup and ensure that it stays put all through.
Goodbye sweaty mess. Hello, toners!
That’s right. Toners are your BFF this summer, because they not only smoothen pores and remove excess oil, but also ensure clean skin to apply makeup on. Opt for an oil-free toner if you have oily skin, and a hydrating toner if you have dry skin.
BB summer favourite: The Face Shop Mango Seed Moisturising Toner
Primer is primary. No matter what!
It’s true. Primers are saviors when it comes to sweat-proofing your skin. It not only helps keep your makeup in place but also controls the oil and keeps the shine in check too. Mattifying and smoothening primers work wonders for sultry summers.
BB summer favourite: L’Oréal Paris Infallible Lasting Primer
Avoid heavy foundation
Going light is right!
The heavier the foundation, the more likely it is to melt in the heat. It’s best to keep the summer nasties away by choosing a light-coverage option. BB creams work like a charm because they won’t weigh your skin down or melt away on a hot, muggy day.
BB summer favourite: Garnier Skin Naturals – BB Cream
Stay sweat-proof. Choose waterproof.
Waterproof and oil-free formulations are your best bet this summer. Keep oily and creamy products at bay as they can spread easily due to sweat. Especially when it comes to mascaras, the humid weather can lead to embarrassing panda eyes. Exactly why, waterproof or water-resistant mascara is a boon. Also, liquid liners last longer than pencils when your lids are moist.
BB summer favourite: Maybelline New York Hypercurl Mascara – Waterproof
Yay for spray
Face the day with setting spray!
The best way to avoid a makeup meltdown is to set it in place. Very literally! All you need is a spritz of long-lasting setting spray, which basically locks your look and holds it in place. It also instantly boosts hydration and gives you a dewy finish. Get, set, and prep!
BB summer favourite: Miss Claire Fixing Spray For Makeup
Ditch dark shades
It’s time to lighten up!
That’s right! Summers can be harsh, and if you’re the kind who enjoys deeper, darker shades, it’s best to save them for the cooler months. That’s because dark colours are more noticeable if they drip or smudge. It’s best to opt for softer colours, or natural makeup.
BB summer essential: ColorBar Nude It Lip Colour (Expose)
Bonus summer hacks
- Ice, ice baby. Massage your skin with an ice pack for a minute or two before applying makeup. This will not only cool your skin but will also help shrink the size of pores and control excess oil.
- Drink up. Load up on water and sip frequently. This will keep your body hydrated and nourished. You can also add a wedge of lime, cucumber slices, and mint leaves for that zing of freshness.
- Always keep blotting tissues handy. Summer skin can be sweaty and sticky, and if you encounter a makeup oopsie, simply blot the patch, pronto. Blotting tissues also work wonders in soaking up excess oil on the skin, every time you break into a sweat.
- Never, ever, ever skip the sunscreen. The harmful rays of the sun can create havoc on the skin, and that’s why sunscreen is your shield. Go for one which is non-greasy and waterproof.
- Carry a facial mist for those SOS moments. If you feel your skin getting too hot to handle, just spray a generous and cool down on the go.
And that’s a wrap. Budge-proof, smudge-proof, and sweat-proof your look with these super simple tricks and beat the heat like a pro. All we have to say is, get your summer glow on and create your own sunshine. Sparkle, shimmy, and shine, and soak in those sun-kissed summer vibes!