Cucumbers are wonder vegetables that are refreshing and light. They are enriched with nutrients like vitamins and minerals. They contain antioxidant properties that aid in cleansing our bodies. It is beneficial in keeping a check on blood sugar levels. Packed with water, they help in staying hydrated. They are low in calories and hence are a blessing for weight watchers. Apart from the many benefits in terms of nutrients, cucumber is also rejuvenating. Their fresh taste cleanses the palate and satiates hunger pangs. This versatile vegetable can be consumed in many forms. And each form adds a newer dimension to its taste.
Cucumber recipes to try at home
1. Cucumber cooler
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serve: 4 per
Cucumber: 5 medium-sized
Watermelon: 2 cups cubed and deseeded
Coriander leaves: 2 sprigs
Sugar: 2 tbsp.
Black salt: 1 tsp.
Ice cubes to serve
- Wash, peel, and deseed cucumber. Cut them in chunks.
- Take a blender and add in cucumber chunks, watermelon cubes, and coriander sprigs.
- Blend them well.
- Squeeze in the juice of 2 lemons. Juice of another lemon can be added to enhance the taste.
- Add in sugar salt and ice cubes and mix well.
- Serve chilled.
2. Cucumber Gazpacho
Cook time: 20 minutes + chilling time
Serve: 4 per
Onion: 1 medium
Red bell pepper: 1 big
Olive oil: 4 tbsp.
Green chilli: 1
Mint leaves: 10 leaves
Curd: 2-3 tbsp.
Salt and pepper: to taste
- Wash and deseed the cucumber. Reserving a few pieces for garnish, chop the rest into small chunks.
- Wash and chop tomatoes into chunks too. Reserve a few for garnish. Tomatoes for the garnish should also be finely chopped.
- Chop onion, red bell pepper, and green chilli into chunks. Drizzle some olive oil on them. Oven roast them at 180° for 5-7 minutes till it changes colour. Ensure it is not charred or burnt.
- Take a blender and blend chunks of cucumber, tomato, roasted onion, bell pepper, green chilli, and mint leaves finely.
- Add in curd and add in another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and blend once again.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup chilled with a garnish of the veggies.
3. Cucumber canapés
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serve: 4 per
Type: Snack/ Starter
Hung Curd: ½ cup
Chilli garlic cheese spread: ½ cup
Salt and pepper to taste
Dill for garnishing
- Cut the top of the cucumber. Rub the chopped portion well with the rest of the vegetables to take off the bitterness.
- Finely chop the onion and green bell pepper.
- Take a bowl and mix in hung curd and cheese spread. To this add in finely chopped veggies. Season it well with salt and pepper. Add in some fresh dill for vibrancy.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them into ½ inch thick roundels or discs.
- Spoon the topping over the cucumber discs and serve the canapés immediately.
4. Cucumber curry with curd
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serve: 4 per
Type: Main course
Curd: 500 grams
Turmeric: ½ tsp.
Gram flour: 2 tsp.
Salt: to taste
Coconut: ½ cup scrapped
Coriander seeds: 2 tbsps.
Red chillies: 2
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp.
Rice: 2 tbsp.
Coconut oil: 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp.
Asafoetida: ½ tsp.
Ginger: ½ tsp grated
Green chilli: 1 (slit lengthwise)
Curry leaves: a sprig
- Wash, peel, and chop cucumbers into thick fingers. These cucumber fingers can be 1 inch in length.
- Whisk together curd, turmeric, and gram flour. Whisk them till it is smooth.
- Soak coriander seeds, red chillies, cumin seeds, and rice in warm water for 10 minutes. Grind them and the coconut to make a smooth paste.
- Take a vessel and pour in the curd mixture. Add in the cucumber sticks.
- Bring this to a boil.
- Simmer and add in the coconut paste. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Prepare the tempering by heating coconut oil. Add in mustard seeds and as they splutter throw in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the tempering over the curry.
- Enjoy with hot rice.
5. Cucumber and muskmelon granita
Cook time: 45 minutes + overnight chilling
Serve: 4 per
Sugar: 2 cups
Water: 2 cups
Fennel seeds: ½ tsp.
Muskmelon: 2 cups (chopped)
Mint leaves: 3-4
- Take a saucepan and pour in water. Add in sugar and fennel seeds. Bring this to a boil and prepare simple syrup. Let the syrup simmer for about 5-7 minutes. Let this cool completely.
- Wash peel and chop the cucumbers into small chunks.
- Take a blender and throw in cucumber, musk melon, and mint leaves. Blend it into a smooth puree.
- Pass it through a sieve.
- Mix the sugar syrup and the puree. Ensure the syrup is completely cool. It can be chilled too.
- Pour the mixture into a flat tray. Freeze it. Once semi-frozen scape it with a fork and let it refreeze again.
- Do this at least 3-4 times for a smooth granita. This can then be frozen overnight and served cold.
Cool as a cucumber might be a proverb to describe a person. But the phrase symbolizes the vegetable. It underlines the freshening feeling while having the same. One needn’t restrict the nutritious wonder to a salad or in between a sandwich. Cucumber adds freshness to other types of dishes too!
Also Read: Delicious vegan recipes to try