Thanksgiving, an American festival, that today is celebrated in many parts of the world. Cultural diffusion, by accident or by encouragement, is a wonderful thing. People around the world get to experience each other’s way of life, adding flavour and celebration to their own. One thing that any celebration calls for is good food and the warmth of togetherness, and who has ever had enough of that? So here’s another reason to gather around the dining table for a vibrant meal that’s enough to feed a family.
At the center of any Thanksgiving spread is the magnificent roast turkey. Today we’ll learn how to prepare it in the easiest way possible while still achieving perfection. If you’ve never roasted a turkey before, trust us, it is easier than you think.
A simple recipe for the perfect roast turkey
Cook time: 4 hours + 8 hours of prep time
Type: Main Course
Ingredients for Cooking Turkey:
- Roast turkey is all about patience. The slower it is cooked, the better it tastes. All one needs to ensure is the turkey is moist and succulent when it’s carved.
- To prepare the turkey, one has to begin by making a stock to soak the turkey with.
- Roughly crush together ginger, black pepper corn and cinnamon.
- Take a litre and half of water in a large vessel. Bring this to a boil. Add in crushed ginger, black pepper corn, and cinnamon along with the chicken stock. Once it starts boiling, add in sugar, salt, and apple cider vinegar. Take it off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Immerse the defrosted and thawed turkey into the solution completely. Let the turkey be immersed for about 8 hours.
- For roasting the turkey, take a huge ovenproof pan and line it with aluminium foil.
vi. Take the turkey out of the water and rinse it well. Pat it dry. Place the turkey on a rack.
- Chop the apple, orange, carrot, and onion roughly. Mix the aromatics like rosemary, sage, thyme, and finely chopped celery in a bowl with the fruits and vegetables. Season this well.
- Fill the cavity with the aromatic, fruit, and vegetable mixture.
- Generously rub the butter and oil mixture over the turkey.
- Place the turkey such that the breast side is up. Tuck the legs closer to the body.
- Place the rack inside the pan.
- Prepare stock with a litre of water and pour the stock into the pan which is lined with foil.
- Cover the turkey with the foil leaving enough room for the steam to circulate. Ensure not to cover it tightly.
- Cook this in a preheated oven at 175℃ for about 2 hours 30 minutes or till it is no longer pink. Open the foil and let the turkey roast uncovered for another 30 minutes to an hour till the skin is brown.
- It is advisable to cover the turkey again with the same foil and remove it from the oven. Let it rest for about 30 minutes, covered. This makes it easier to carve without drying the turkey.
Roast turkey symbolises Thanksgiving and it can easily be ruined. Soaking the turkey in the stock allows the flavours to seep well into the turkey. Care should be taken to cover the turkey well with the aluminium foil. This prevents the turkey from going dry as it cooks in its own steam. Resting the turkey ensures the absorption of the juices and the retention of moisture. With all these tips and tricks kept in mind, can enjoy Thanksgiving in the most delicious way.
You make also like: