They say, life’s too short not to have fabulous lips. So, pucker up and pout it out. But before you do, look closely, do you have the right lip liner shade? If you’ve never given it a thought, now is the time. Lip liners are like the unsung heroes of makeup – they define, enhance, and make your lips look ah-mazing! So, whether you’re a makeup maven or just getting started, lip liners are essential, and what’s as essential is choosing the right shade.
Pairing your lipstick with the right lip liner is the secret to achieving a flawless, long-lasting pout. Don’t stress about the how. We’ve got you covered. We put together some simple tips to help you choose the perfect lip liner for any lipstick shade. Here goes.
Identify Your Lipstick Shade
First things first, grab your favourite lipsticks and take a good look at them. What colours do you usually gravitate towards? Whether it’s reds, pinks, nudes, or something wilder, knowing your go-to shades is essential.
Know Your Undertone
When choosing a lip liner to pair with your lipstick, pay attention to your undertones, whether it’s warm or cool. Reds and plums work well for warm undertones and peaches, oranges and browns suit cool undertones.
Here’s a simple test to find out your undertone.
- Look at your veins. If they are blue, you have cool undertones. Green means warm undertones. A mix of blue and green means neutral undertones.
- Another way to check this is the jewellery test. Hope a piece of silver and gold jewellery against your skin. If silver suits you better, you have a cool undertone. If gold looks better, you have warm undertones.
Match or Go Slightly Darker
When in doubt, choose a lip liner that matches your lipstick shade or goes just a shade darker. This helps create definition and prevents the dreaded ‘outline around the lips’ look.
Nude Liners For Versatility
If you’re new to the lip liner game, remember, a nude lip liner is your best friend. If you’re uncertain or want a versatile option, a nude liner that matches your natural lip colour or is slightly darker is your go-to choice.
Experiment with an ombré effect by using a liner a shade or two darker than your lipstick on the outer corners. Blend it inwards, and you’ve got yourself a flattering gradient.
Handy tips for the perfect outline
- Always keep your lip liner pencil sharp. A fine tip ensures precision when defining your lips.
- Look for a lip liner with a long-lasting and smudge-proof formula. This ensures that your lip outline stays in place throughout the day.
- If possible, test the lip liner before buying. This can help you ensure that the colours complement each other well.
- Half-smile while applying the liner. Never a full smile. This will stretch your lips and make application easier.
- Don’t colour your lips with the liner if you intend to apply lipstick afterwards. This will make your lips look thick and dry.
On that note, here are some classics that will never fail you.
- For beautiful browns, try Russet Brown by Street Wear Lip Liner
- For ravishing reds, try Red Wine by Lenphor Rebel Lip Liner
- For magnificent mauves, try Mauve by Deborah Lip Pencil
- For neat nudes, try Wooed By Nude by Sugar Cosmetics
- For pretty pinks, try Carnation by Lakme Absolute
Now that you’ve unlocked the secrets of lip liner, go forth and conquer those lipstick shades like a pro! Remember, makeup is all about having fun and expressing yourself, so don’t be afraid to experiment. So, go ahead and elevate your lip game with the perfect lip liner for every lipstick in your collection.