Giloy, also known as Amruthaballi or Guduchi, is an ayurvedic plant which is known for its tremendous medicinal benefits. It is a key ingredient used in various ayurvedic recipes and medicines from the days of yore. It is a vine shrub which has spotted stem and heart-shaped leaves. Giloy is used in making various supplements like a tonic, powder and tablet. Though it tastes bitter by nature, it holds many characteristics and advantages. This creeper can be grown at home as well.
It is packed with nutrients like calcium, iron, vitamins and more, making it remarkably nutritional. This plant’s leaf/ stem is consumed as it is known to boost one’s immunity. Here are a few essential properties Amruthaballi is known for.
Health benefits of Guduchi
- Aids digestion.
- Believed to help in treating cancer.
- Rich in calcium, it is believed to support fight arthritis.
- Sipping daily on giloy juice can help stress and anxiety.
- Brewing a cup of tonic or tea with amruthaballi is believed to treat chronic fever.
Beauty benefits of Guduchi
- This amazing plant has anti-ageing traits.
- It has anti-inflammatory attributes which aid in fighting pimples.
- With various skin enhancing properties, it is also known to lighten dark spots.
Recipes you can make with Giloy
- Giloy (Amruthaballi) – Stem – 3 inches, Leaf – 5
- Cumin (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 3-4 corns
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Jaggery (powdered) – 1 tsp (based on your sweetness preference)
- Coriander seeds (Dhaniya) – 2 seeds
- 2 glasses of water
How to make
Step 1: In a container, add everything except jaggery and bring to boil.
Step 2: Turn the flame down and add the jaggery.
Step 3: Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes till the jaggery melts.
Step 4: Strain the water and sip on it while hot.
- Giloy (Amruthaballi) – Stem – 2 inches, Leaf – 5
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Cardamom – 3 pods
- Tea powder (plain) – 2 tsp
- Water – 3/4 glass
- Milk – 1 glass
- Sugar/ Jaggery – As per your preference
- Cinnamon – 1/4 inch (optional)
How to make
Step 1: In a container add water, giloy, ginger, cardamom, tea powder and bring to boil
Step 2: Turn the flame to medium and add milk and sugar/ jaggery.
Step 3: Let it sit until the tea starts to rise.
Step 4: Turn down the flame and let it sit for a minute.
Step 5: Strain the tea and
Go on and give yourself and your family a daily dose of this amazing plant and enjoy its countless benefits.
Article by Namratha