Sweet Potato is known as a ‘Super Food” because this delicious tuberous food is packed with nutrition! Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamins A, B and C, they are also high in fibre and have loads of minerals and antioxidants that protect your body. It promotes gut health, and brain health and also has anti-cancer properties.
This naturally sweet vegetable helps the management of diabetes and is good for heart health as well. The best part about sweet potatoes is that it is naturally sweet and delicious to eat!
The commonest ways of consuming sweet potato is to either boil and have it or at the most make a vegetable out of it. But these ways can become boring and not the best way to include in your meals. The key is to use sweet potatoes creatively, so that their natural sweetness can be taken advantage of, and this superfood can feature more often in our meals.
Here are some creative yet delectable recipes using sweet potatoes that can be an amazing way to include sweet potatoes in your diet.
Sweet Potato Brownies
Elevate your next batch of brownies with the goodness of sweet potatoes, the natural sweetness lends a healthy alternative to regular sugar, and the brownie still tastes appealing but is surely healthier.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 12 servings
- 2-3 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup peanut butter (creamy)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup maida
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- The first step is to get the sweet potato puree ready. For this peel and chop the sweet potatoes into halves, and add them to a baking tray. Now bake these sweet potatoes for about 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender to the touch. Once they are nice and soft, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool. Once cooled, you can peel them and blend them to get a smooth puree. This puree can also be used for other recipes.
- Once the puree is formed, transfer it into a bowl and keep it aside.
- Keep the oven on preheat at about 300’C. You can even keep a greased baking dish ready, and line it with a parchment paper.
- The next step is to move on to the actual preparation of the brownie. Take a large-sized mixing bowl, to it, add the sweet potato puree, melted butter, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, peanut butter and maple syrup and fold them well to get a smooth and even batter.
- The next step is to add the baking powder and sea salt and mix them in as well. Now sift in the maida slowly and combine it all to get a slightly thick brownie batter. Quickly add some chopped walnuts, sparring a few to sprinkle on top, similarly add the chocolate chips sparring a few. Once the batter is ready, transfer the same to the baking dish. Now sprinkle the chocolate chips and walnuts on top and put the baking dish into the oven.
- Now bake the brownies for about 30 minutes or until the top of the brownie appears cracked. Use a toothpick to check if the brownie is baked through.
- Remove from the oven, and allow it to cool down. Now chop the brownies into sizes and shapes of your choice. These delectable brownies can be relished with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, or even as it is!
Sweet Potato Pancakes
Pancakes are easily one of the most loved breakfasts among children and adults alike! upgrade your favourite pancakes with a healthy twist! This time simply by making them using sweet potatoes! You get the same delicious fluffy texture with a hint of cinnamon and the health benefits of sweet potatoes! This recipe is a ‘must-try’
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 6 servings (depending on size)
- 1 cup boiled and mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup maida
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp oil/ghee for cooking
- Take a large-sized mixing bowl, to it, add the mashed sweet potatoes along with all other ingredients like eggs, sugar and milk and whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. The next step is to slowly fold in the maida, and ensure it is whisked until no lumps remain.
- Now add the nutmeg powder, cinnamon powder, baking powder salt and finally the melted butter and get a smooth batter.
- Now heat your heavy iron flat pan and add a ladle full of the pancake batter to it. Drizzle it with some oil or ghee and cook on both sides by flipping it.
- Make a stack of similar pancakes and enjoy hot with some honey or maple syrup or other accompaniments of your choice.
Stuffed and Baked Sweet Potato
If you love some delicious baked meals for dinner, then a stuffed and baked sweet potato perfectly fits the bill. Being a superfood, it is a great meal option and when it is stuffed with delectable ingredients, the dish is elevated and apt for a fulfilling meal.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 large-size sweet potato (preferably fuller and rounder in shape)
- ½ cup boiled and shredded chicken (or crumbled paneer)
- 1 tsp peri peri powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup boiled rajma
- 2 tsp salsa (of your choice)
- 2 tsp mashed avocado
- 2 tsp juice of lemon
- ½ cup mixed shredded cheese (mozzarella, processed, cheddar)
- Preheat the oven to 300’C. Wash the sweet potato very well, so that all mud particles are washed off. Prick holes into the sweet potato put it in the oven and bake until it is soft (might take anything around 45-50 minutes.)
- Once the potato is nicely baked, cut a slit in it vertically to open the potato. Using a fork, gently scrape and loosen the flesh of the sweet potato.
- Now add the toppings. First, add the shredded chicken or crumbled paneer. Top it with some peri-peri powder. Now add the boiled rajma on top, and drizzle a generous amount of salsa over it. Drizzle some fresh lime juice over it. Now spread a generous amount of mashed avocado and finally top it with some shredded cheese.
- Enjoy this dish immediately while it is still warm.
Sweet Potato Pie
When the season gets cooler, we all love curling up with a heartwarming dessert. Especially if it is soft and creamy and mildly spiced, with light sweetness! And the cherry on the cake is the fact that sweet potatoes are loaded with health benefits!
Make this and relish it with your loved one. It is best for any and every occasion.
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 1 sheet pie dough
- 2-3 medium-sized sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed) 1/3 cup soft butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/3 soft butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Whipped cream for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300’C while other preparations are being made. Take the baking dish, line it with the pie dough and refrigerate until the pie fillings are prepared.
- Boil the cubes of sweet potato until they are soft and tender, then drain excess water and mash it to get a smooth texture.
- Now take a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs into it and whisk it lightly. Now add the butter, and sugar and whisk until the butter completely dissolves. Now add the seasonings like vanilla extract, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder salt and mix well. Take care not to have any lumps in the mixture. Now gently pour this mixture into the dough-lined pie tin.
- Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for 3-40 minutes or until the filling is completely cooked.
- Remove the pie and cool it on a wire rack. Once completely cooked, using a sharp knife, cut into slices of sizes of your preference. Top it with whipped cream (optional) and cool. Serve chilled.