It may seem easy, but shaving is no mean feat. If not done with precision, it leaves behind cuts and nicks and ruins your skin and your day too. Though shaving is a routine for most men, it still needs technique and process to get it right. And despite going through the trouble, the clean-shaven look is a hit and miss for many men.
But don’t you worry. We’ve taken the mental stress off you and come up with 6 super simple tips you can follow to ace the process of shaving. So, for all the men and boys who will grow to join the tribe, here are some handy tricks, and mistakes you should avoid, to make this an enjoyable highlight of the day and flaunt your clean-shaven jawline in all its glory.
Wait a while
Skin tends to be sensitive and puffy immediately upon waking up. It’s wise to wait for at least 15 minutes and give it time to settle down. So grab your cup of coffee, take a breather, and gather your thoughts as your skin readies itself for the shave.
Hydrate your skin
Dry skin restricts smooth razor movements causing nicks and cuts. That’s why hydration is essential. Splash your skin with a generous amount of warm water. This helps soften the skin and makes it easy for the razor to glide.
Lathering your skin with a shaving gel or foam is extremely important. This lubricates the skin and ensures less irritation and an easier razor glide. Here’s a hack – massage in an upward circular motion. This will lift the hair and help with an easier razor glide.
Go with the grain
While the question remains if one should shave with or against the grain, experts suggest shaving in the direction the hair grows. Going against the grain can lead to ingrowths and follicle damage.
Razors are the first things that collect dead skin and thus become a breeding ground for bacteria. Therefore, it is essential to keep the razor clean and dispose of blunt razors. Rinse your blades often and change your disposable razors regularly.
After you’re done shaving, give your face and neck a good rinse to remove all traces of shaving cream or gel. Follow this with a splash of cold water to close the pores. Then, apply a moisturizer or an aftershave to replenish lost moisture and prevent dryness. If you have sensitive skin that tends to flair, simply rub your skin with a cube of ice to soothe it.
A few bro tips
- Avoid any aftershaves or cleansers that contain alcohol. They sting and will also dry out your skin. Try a soothing, moisturizing aftershave instead.
- Prep your skin with an excellent before-shave oil like Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Olive Oil, etc., for a smoother shave. It smoothens the hair follicles and ensures a smoother shave.
- Exfoliate your skin to remove dead cells. It will prevent build-up on the blade and increase efficiency.
- Use a soft towel to wipe your face and be gentle on your skin.
- Do not skimp on your post-shaving routine of applying a moisturizer or a calming aftershave.
- If you have acne-prone skin, it’s best to use disposable razors and avoid infected areas. If the problem persists, do visit a dermatologist.
Simple, right? These tips sure are. Follow them regularly, and we assure you, shaving won’t be laborious anymore. A little effort and know-how can go a long way in giving you the flawless shave that you crave. So, keep calm and shave on!